HOW MIGHT WE...

REDUCE CARBON EMISSIONS IN CANADA?

UN GOAL NUMBER # 7 - AFFORDABLE & CLEAN ENERGY

PAYTON EVANS

Three billion people rely on wood, coal, charcoal, or animals to provide a reliable source of energy. Lack of access to tools for energy or power can leave countries with limitations regarding human and economic development.

 

The environment provides a series of renewable and non-renewable energy sources. However, the increased use of fossil fuels has detrimental effects on our planet, its ecosystems, and the air we breathe. The top 100 large corporations make up 71% of the total carbon emissions expelled in Canada, with the other 29% of the total emissions being emitted by individual persons.  The global economy continues to witness a consistent increase in carbon emissions, making it difficult to achieve the Paris Agreement on climate change. 

 

This system map visualises the direct connectedness from large corporations and individuals to the release of greenhouse gas emissions within Canada.This system map showcases the top eight categories that affect carbon release in Canada; energy, transportation, fuel combustion, manufacturing, agriculture, industrial processes, fugitive emissions, and waste. Large corporations produce roughly 71% of greenhouse gas emissions within Canada with the remaining 29% belonging to individuals and small businesses.